Starter Company PLUS
Starter Company PLUS provides successful applicants with assistance to start, grow or buy a small business. Assistance includes training, business skills development, mentoring from local business leaders and capital. The program is open to Ontario residents 18 years of age and older.
The Starter Company PLUS program partners entrepreneurs with experts who will help you develop the skills needed to launch and sustain successful businesses. Program participants are also eligible to receive a grant of up to $4,500.
The application period for this program closed on October 18, 2019.
- 18 years of age or older and finished school
- Operating a business, proposing a new business, expanding or purchasing a business
- A Canadian citizen or permanent resident living in Ontario
- Prepared to commit a minimum of 35 hours per week to operate your business
- Prepared to attend mentor meetings for six months after the start of your business
- Prepared to take part in identified Business Training
- A sole proprietorship, or a partnership where the applicant has at least 51% ownership, or a corporation where the applicant is the majority shareholder
- An independent business venture – not a franchise
- Operates at arm’s length from any family business ventures in Ontario
- Operates full-time and maintains its own books and records
- Maintains a separate business bank account, following government rules and regulations for operating a business
Businesses NOT Eligible:
- Franchises, commissioned sales or distributorships
- Business ventures that are continuations of existing commercial endeavours
- Not-for-profit or charitable enterprises
- Multi-level marketing ventures
- Single events such as musical ventures, bands, DJ’s or dance/party event organizations
- Businesses that are strictly pay per click and 1-900 businesses
Note: CBEC, a Small Business Enterprise Centre of the ONE network may, at its sole discretion, determine a particular business is inappropriate for the Starter Company PLUS program.
Step 1: Assess your eligibility to participate in the Starter Company PLUS program
Step 2: Complete and submit the program application form
Step 3: You will be contacted by the Cornwall Business Enterprise Centre to review your application
Step 4: If eligible, you will be asked to complete and submit the Program Participant Agreement
Step 5: You will be notified whether or not you are accepted into the Starter Company PLUS program
Step 6: If accepted, you will then register for mandatory training seminars and mentorship meetings.
- Application period opens: March 9, 2020
- Application period closes: March 27, 2020, at 4:00 PM
- Starter Company Plus seminar (attendance is mandatory for all applicants): April 1, 2020
- Seminar schedule: April 13, 2020, to June 5, 2020
- First draft of business plan and 2-year financial forecast due: June 19, 2020
- Final business plan and 2-year financial forecast due: July 10, 2020
- Grant panel presentation period: July 15-17, 2020