If your business has employees, facilities, or offices in Ontario, you must register using the Ontario Business Registry.
You will need a working email address for online registration and a valid debit or credit card for payment. The registration fee depends on the type of business you are registering.
- Search the Ontario Business Registry for free to find out if your business name is already taken.
- Create a ONe-key account (it is a secure login and password)
- Log in to your ONe-key account and register for a ServiceOntario account (they maintain business registration records)
- Log in to your ServiceOntario Account to register your business as a:
- Sole Proprietorship – $60
- General Partnership – $60
- Ontario Limited Liability Partnership – $60 (this is a hybrid of a partnership and a corporate body. The partners can be individuals, companies or combinations of both)
- Extra-Provincial Limited Liability Partnership – $60 (this is a Limited Liability Partnership previously registered in another province)
- Limited Partnership – $210 (this is a business with at least one general partner and at least one limited partner.)
- Business Corporation – $300If you are registering as a Business Corporation, you will also need to order an Ontario-biased or weighted Nuans name search report to reserve your business name if you are not using a number name. A Canada (federal) biased Nuans name search will not be accepted. The Nuans report must be obtained from a private name search company and may be found online or you can find a local Nuans member to order your report.
You can visit the Ontario Business Registry for a full list of ownership structures and their filing requirements.
- You will be registered for a 9-digit Ontario Business Identification Number (BIN) from Service Ontario. You will need this number to:
- create an import/export account
- register for an account with the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA)
Please note, your Ontario Business Identification Number (BIN) from Service Ontario is different than a Business Number (BN) that is provided by the CRA.
Municipal Business Licenses
You may need licences and permits to run your business according to federal, provincial, or municipal regulations. Use BizPal, a free online tool to find the licences and permits you need for your business. BizPal filters permits based on your location, industry, and business activities.
Please contact your local municipality to get more information on Zoning.
Please contact your local municipality to get more information on Building Permits.