Summer Company Applications Now Being Accepted
January 30, 2020
By Ryan Kuhn
Cornwall, Ontario – Summer Company is a program funded by the Government of Ontario to help students with start-up money to kick-off a new summer business.
The program includes advice and mentorship from the Cornwall Business Enterprise Centre and local business leaders to help get the business up and running.
Learning how to run a business is one of the best summer jobs a student can have. Participants of the program get to be their own boss while learning what it takes to manage a business. Sales, marketing, bookkeeping, customer relationship management and networking are just a few of the highly useful skills participants will develop.
To be eligible for the Summer Company program, participants must:
- go to high school, college or university
- live in Ontario
- be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- be between 15-29 years old (if under 18: a parent or guardian must sign the agreement for the applicant)
- not be running a business already
- not be working at another job or going to school for more than 12 hours a week during the program
- be returning to school after the program ends
- not be applying again, if you have received a Summer Company grant in the past
- other requirements may apply – speak with your local Business Enterprise Centre for more details
Students who are accepted into the Summer Company program will receive up to $1,500 upfront to help with start-up costs. An additional $1,500 will be available for participants who successfully complete the program requirements by the end of the summer. In total, successful Summer Company participants will receive up to $3,000 in grant awards.
How to Apply
Those interested in applying for the 2020 program must complete their applications by May 15, or when capacity is reached. The Business Enterprise Centre (CBEC) covering Cornwall, Akwesasne and SDG is able to accept 7 students into the program. CBEC encourages those interested to submit applications much earlier than the posted deadline in order to have the best chance of being accepted.
Steps to apply are listed below:
- Visit www.ontario.ca/summercompany
- Check to see if you’re eligible for the program
- Complete the online application inquiry
- Select your local program provider
- Assign yourself a password
- Submit your application inquiry
The Cornwall Business Enterprise Centre can be reached for additional information by phone at 613-930-2787 x2276.Full news listing