On October 19, 2021 the Ontario government will launch a new business registry. This modern online service will make it easier and more affordable for millions of businesses and not-for-profit corporations to access Ontario government services such as registering a business, incorporating a not-for-profit, and filing an annual return.
For the first time ever, people across the province will have direct access to over 90 services 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and will be able to complete electronic transactions immediately, rather than through the mail or by fax.
In the last year over 2 million businesses completed over 2.5 million transactions last year. Many of which were paper-based and included manual processing.
For instance, registrations or filings that were previously submitted by mail or fax, (taking four to six weeks to complete), can now be done instantly through the online registry.
The current system was built in 1992 and runs on outdated technology. The new Ontario Business Registry will replace this cumbersome system and meet the needs of the modern economy and rapidly expanding digital world.
The new business registry will
- Make it easier to register and maintain businesses, as well as comply with government filing requirements through a streamlined digital channel.
- Save time by providing many government products and services immediately, and convenient alternatives to time- consuming, paper-based processes.
- Reduce burden and costs for Ontario businesses through streamlined fees, free searches, and consolidated search products.
Features included in the business registry
- Over 90 services available online 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- Instant service with documents and transaction receipts emailed right to you.
- Validation features to help users move along securely and error-free.
- Pre-populated provisions for faster incorporation of businesses that aren’t publicly traded.
- Automatic email reminders to keep track of upcoming filings.
- Enhanced search functions that allow free online searches and consolidated search products, which eliminate the need for multiple documents.
- Simplified incorporation and maintenance of not-for-profit corporations online through the proclamation of the Not-for-Profit Corporations Act, 2010.
- Scannable QR codes allow for real-time verification of businesses.
- Continued integration with Service Providers ESC Corporate Services Ltd. and ecore by Dye & Durham Corporation to support business continuity.
To stay up to date on new information about the Ontario Business Registry, sign up at Ontario.ca/BusinessRegistry.