August 10, 2021
A new nature experience centre, Family Earth, has opened to help families reconnect and heal in a post-pandemic world.
As parents, we want to find ways to connect with our children while helping to create a better, more resilient planet and future. That’s why we seek opportunities and activities to spend time together as a family, while learning more about the natural world and how we can do our part to, protect it.
Family Earth is a nature experience centre and ecological market garden dedicated to bringing families together through nature. Located in Ingleside, Ontario, Family Earth helps families reconnect with each other, learn how to be resilient, and escape the hustle and bustle of their busy lives while they experience nature together. Families visiting can explore the centre’s 34 acres of walking trails through forest and wetlands, enjoy a family picnic, buy fresh produce from the ecological market garden, and participate in the centre’s nature programming. The centre offers nature-based programming that not only brings families together, but also teaches children about well-being, sustainability and the natural environment, and food systems which are all crucial to thriving in a changing world. Activities also teach children valuable skills for a healthy future, including hands on problem solving, understanding complex systems, teamwork, and emotional and mental resilience.
As our communities re-open as COVID-19 restrictions are lifted, Family Earth’s summer programming offers safe, fun, and educational outdoor workshops to get families outside and together again in nature. Programs and workshops, including Campfire Cooking, Growing Families Gardening Workshops, Nature Playshops, Art With Nature, Nature Therapy and a Wilderness First Aid certification course, are designed to encourage creativity, curiosity, and fun for children of all ages as well as the adults in their lives.
“Family Earth is a place where families can feel supported as they reconnect with themselves and loved ones in nature,” said Rochelle Johnston, founder of Family Earth. “As families have been feeling disconnected and overwhelmed throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, it’s more important than ever to provide our children with experiences that are safe and stress-relieving. Being in nature helps facilitate this.”
● Family Earth is a nature experience center located in Ingleside, Ontario—60 minutes from Ottawa, 90 minutes from Montreal, and 10 minutes from the St. Lawrence River.
● Family Earth follows the safety guidelines from the Eastern Ontario Health Unit to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. All participants are screened before being allowed on-site, provide information for contact-tracing, work and play in their bubbles, and practice social distancing.
● Nature Playshops: Kids engage in unstructured outdoor play while adults learn how to facilitate nature play. Occurs every Wednesday at 10 a.m.
● Growing Families Gardening Workshops: Learn organic gardening skills and get expert advice on how to start or improve your own garden. Occurs every Saturday at 10 a.m.
● Art With Nature Workshops: Learn to make art with natural and up-cycled materials, art inspired by the environment, practical art, and art installed in nature. Occurs every Sunday at 10 a.m.
● Campfire Cooking Workshops: Gather around the campfire and cook an organic meal together as a family. Occurs every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 4 p.m. – 9 p.m.
● Wilderness First Aid certification: Learn wilderness first aid skills, specifically tailored to the needs of families with children. Certification takes place on August 8 from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. (the first portion of the course is online and self-paced).
● To register for upcoming Family Earth workshops, please visit https://www.familyearth.earth/seasonal-experiences